This is for you Dina.....Kale Chips!
Yes, yes. I've been bad. Not with my eating, but with my posting. Sigh. Where does the time go?
I've been promising a friend to share my kale chip recipe, so today I'm taking the time to post it.

My first batch was inspired by a recipe from BeStrixed. LOVED it! Take the time to look at her gorgeous pictures. It's enough to make you drool right onto your keyboard.

2-3 bunches dino kale
3/4 c raw sesame tahini
1/4 c Bragg's (you can also use Nama Shoyu. I can't as it has wheat as an ingredient)
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1/2 c water - more if needed
1 scallion (or 1/4 cup onion)
2 cloves garlic
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 tea sea salt
1/4 - 1/3 c nutritional yeast
black pepper to taste
Place all the above ingredients, except the dino kale, into your Vitamix (or other high speed blending device) and whip into a smooth sauce.
Wash your scrummy dino kale and break up into chip-sized pieces (about 3" or 4" square). Put a manageable amount of kale in a large bowl and squish the delish sauce into the leaves. Spread them out on your dehydrator and fire it up! When I originally made my chips, I carefully laid them out in a single layer. A friend suggested I just clump them on and not worry. I think this is fine advice and will suggest it to you.
Dehydrate until crispy. The amount of time depends on the temp you use. I set mine at about 100 degrees and can usually plan on them being done after about half a day. Often I will turn them on before bed and they're ready after breakfast the next day. Perfect timing.
I have also used olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper with tasty results. Another time I tried a more curry type sauce, but it wasn't as good as my previous batches.
Here are a few other variations I've found on line and have not yet tried. You try them and let me know how they are!
Curry Kale - From BeStrixed
9- 12 -ounces Dino-Kale (weight after de-stemming)
Additional Nutritional Yeast, for sprinkling atop, Optional
CURRY DRESSING:
1/2 C Sesame Seeds OR sunflower seeds, (measure before soaking)
3/4 – 1 tsp good-tasting, good-quality Curry Powder — your favorite
1/2 - 1 tsp Cumin Seeds, whole
1 tsp Coriander Seeds, whole, (or 1/2 tsp ground powder)
8 ounces Tomato, fresh (about 2 smallish (canned, okay)
3 TB Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 – 1 Red Bell Pepper (about 5-ounces (or use just the tomato; or just the bells — but both is best)
3 -4 TB Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
Black Pepper, to taste
Additional Nutritional Yeast - Optional
Blend up all except the black pepper, till smooth and creamy.
Stir in freshly-ground optional black pepper to taste.
Toss thoroughly with prepared leafy pieces to coat.
Sprinkle with optional additional nutritional yeast.
Place on trays.
Dehydrate thoroughly till nice and crispy-crunchy!
Another Variation:
1/2 c SESAME SEEDS OR SUNFLOWER SEEDS (or other)
1/4 C APPLE CIDER OR BALSAMIC +LEMON)
1 LARGE GARLIC
1 tsp ONION POWDER
1/2 C WATER
1/4 C NUTRITIONAL YEAST
1 tsp WET BROWN MUSTARD ex. Westbrae,
BLACK PEPPERCORNS
HERBS,SPICES
Yet Another Variation:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespooon water
1/8 teaspoon salt
pinch cayenne
Just today I finished a batch of very, very yummy Sprouted Buckwheat and Veggie Crackers. Currently, Hadyn is in the kitchen slathering them with homemade pesto and wolfing them down as if they might run away at any moment.

I'd better run and try to wrestle a few from her before they're all gone!
~Marcey
I've been promising a friend to share my kale chip recipe, so today I'm taking the time to post it.

My first batch was inspired by a recipe from BeStrixed. LOVED it! Take the time to look at her gorgeous pictures. It's enough to make you drool right onto your keyboard.

Kale Chips - Batch #1
2-3 bunches dino kale
3/4 c raw sesame tahini
1/4 c Bragg's (you can also use Nama Shoyu. I can't as it has wheat as an ingredient)
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1/2 c water - more if needed
1 scallion (or 1/4 cup onion)
2 cloves garlic
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 tea sea salt
1/4 - 1/3 c nutritional yeast
black pepper to taste
Place all the above ingredients, except the dino kale, into your Vitamix (or other high speed blending device) and whip into a smooth sauce.
Wash your scrummy dino kale and break up into chip-sized pieces (about 3" or 4" square). Put a manageable amount of kale in a large bowl and squish the delish sauce into the leaves. Spread them out on your dehydrator and fire it up! When I originally made my chips, I carefully laid them out in a single layer. A friend suggested I just clump them on and not worry. I think this is fine advice and will suggest it to you.
Dehydrate until crispy. The amount of time depends on the temp you use. I set mine at about 100 degrees and can usually plan on them being done after about half a day. Often I will turn them on before bed and they're ready after breakfast the next day. Perfect timing.
I have also used olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper with tasty results. Another time I tried a more curry type sauce, but it wasn't as good as my previous batches.
Here are a few other variations I've found on line and have not yet tried. You try them and let me know how they are!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curry Kale - From BeStrixed
9- 12 -ounces Dino-Kale (weight after de-stemming)
Additional Nutritional Yeast, for sprinkling atop, Optional
CURRY DRESSING:
1/2 C Sesame Seeds OR sunflower seeds, (measure before soaking)
3/4 – 1 tsp good-tasting, good-quality Curry Powder — your favorite
1/2 - 1 tsp Cumin Seeds, whole
1 tsp Coriander Seeds, whole, (or 1/2 tsp ground powder)
8 ounces Tomato, fresh (about 2 smallish (canned, okay)
3 TB Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 – 1 Red Bell Pepper (about 5-ounces (or use just the tomato; or just the bells — but both is best)
3 -4 TB Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
Black Pepper, to taste
Additional Nutritional Yeast - Optional
Blend up all except the black pepper, till smooth and creamy.
Stir in freshly-ground optional black pepper to taste.
Toss thoroughly with prepared leafy pieces to coat.
Sprinkle with optional additional nutritional yeast.
Place on trays.
Dehydrate thoroughly till nice and crispy-crunchy!
Another Variation:
1/2 c SESAME SEEDS OR SUNFLOWER SEEDS (or other)
1/4 C APPLE CIDER OR BALSAMIC +LEMON)
1 LARGE GARLIC
1 tsp ONION POWDER
1/2 C WATER
1/4 C NUTRITIONAL YEAST
1 tsp WET BROWN MUSTARD ex. Westbrae,
BLACK PEPPERCORNS
HERBS,SPICES
Yet Another Variation:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespooon water
1/8 teaspoon salt
pinch cayenne
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just today I finished a batch of very, very yummy Sprouted Buckwheat and Veggie Crackers. Currently, Hadyn is in the kitchen slathering them with homemade pesto and wolfing them down as if they might run away at any moment.

I'd better run and try to wrestle a few from her before they're all gone!
~Marcey

3 Comments:
Those kale chips look wonderful. I saw a batch of "raw foods kale chips" in the store that were outrageously priced- I need to get out my dehydrator and try making my own batch. :) Thanks for the inspiration!
-Sea
What kind of dehydrator do you use? Anything you really like about and anything you wish it did? Thanks!
I have a Harvestmaster and don't really like it. But, my husband bought it for me years ago before we knew what to look for in a dehydrator. If I were to buy one now, I'd get an Excalibur.
http://www.naturalzing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_56&products_id=205
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home